Japan Hokkaido Trip 北海道 – Day 1
Hokkaido is the second largest, northern most and least developed of Japan‘s four main islands. Its weather is harsh in winter with lots of snowfall, sub zero temperatures and frozen seas, while in summer it does not get as hot and humid as in other parts of Japan, will be cool and nice weather.
General Guide on Temperature:
Spring (Mar to May) – 1ºC to 10ºC
Summer (May to Sep) – 12ºC to 28ºC
Autumn (Sep to Nov) – 4ºC to 15ºC
Winter (Nov to Mar) – -10ºC to -1ºC
With its unspoiled nature, Hokkaido attracts many outdoor lovers, including skiers and snow boarders in the colder seasons and hikers, cyclists and campers during warmer season from June to September.
Facts about Japan:
1. Everybody is required to be Naked upon entering Onsen bath (hot spring).
2. Male and Female Onsens are separated.
3. Please shower before indulging at the Onsen for hygiene purpose.
4. People with heart problem or other disease are not recommended to enjoy the Onsen.
5. Local Japanese Tatami style Hotel requires you to lay down mattress and sleep on the floor.
6. Sitting on the floor is common for Japanese Restaurants.
7. Most Japan Hotel rooms are not big, especially their Bathroom.
8. Authentic Japanese cuisine do not emphasize on quantity but rather Quality of the foods.
Hokkaido is about 32x bigger than Singapore, population is only about 5.8 millions while Singapore’s population already about 5 millions lor. :p
Japanese is the national language. Some locals may speak limited English, especially those working in tourism industry and hotels. The written form is borrowed from Traditional Chinese with some additional local add-on words.
Japan is +1 hour ahead of Singapore
Phone Calls and Internet
1. Auto-roaming service for 3G mobile phones is available. You can also make calls using local phone cards.
2. Most of the hotels provide WI-FI service at a charge. Charges varies according to hotel.
3. Some hotel provide Free WI-FI, but only at lobby area.
Most hotel provide kettle to boil water in the room. You are advised to drink only bottles or boiled water.
All transaction in Japaneses Yen. Major Credit Cards are accepted in Hotels, Shopping Centre and big Restaurant.
2-Flat Pin Socket is required.
Major Departmental stores are open from 11am to 8pm. Smaller shop will close by 4pm
1. GST rate at 5%.
2. VAT refund is available at selected Boutique and Departmental stores.
Local Guide and Driver – JPY700 per person per day
Tour Leader – SGD2 per person per day
🙂 🙂 🙂
Everybody knew about the 311 (11 March 2011) Earthquake plus Tsunami hit at Fukushima, Japan. People all scare of the Radiation exposed from Dai-ichi Nuclear Power Station at Fukushima.
Frankly speaking, we scare too. :p After done some research through internet, we found out that Hokkaido is far away from the Nuclear Plant oh, should be safe. 🙂
Distance from Fukushima Dai-ichi Nuclear Power Plant:
1. Haneda International Airport (Tokyo) – 236km
2. Chitose Airport (Sapporo, Hokkaido) – 598km
🙂 🙂 🙂
Changi Int’l Airport —> Haneda Int’l Airport
We took ANA Airline, departure Singapore at 9:45 pm and estimated arrival at 6:00 am, Japan time.
We assembled at Changi International Airport Terminal 2, total 13 person in our group, so no tour leader, we can save S$2 each day for 7 days oh. :p Chan Brother Travel has arranged an admin staff to help us on check-in and briefing on the procedure for Haneda International Airport 东京羽田机场. He keeps remind us that the timing of itinerary will be following Japan local time.
After flight take off, a small plastic bag with some snack and a bottle of mineral water was distributed. ANA Airline has a very tokkong arrangement which the stewardess will woke you up at 3.30am for breakfast lor. 😦
Reach Haneda airport on-time to start our Hokkaido, Japan tour.
Link: Hokkaido Trip 北海道 Day 2
Link: Hokkaido Trip 北海道 Day 3
Link: Hokkaido Trip 北海道 Day 4
Link: Hokkaido Trip 北海道 Day 5
Link: Hokkaido Trip 北海道 Day 6
Link: Hokkaido Trip 北海道 Day 7
- Get Hip to Japanese Inns (hotelclub.com)