Awareness – Drinking Water
Sources of Drinking Water
Source of water
– Water that fills the open spaces, or pore space, within the subsurface.
– Ground water under the direct influence of surface water (GWUDI) is any water beneath the surface of the ground with:
1) significant occurrence of insects or other macro organisms,
2) significant and relatively rapid shifts in water characteristics such as turbidity, temperature, conductivity, or pH that closely correlate to climatologically or surface water conditions. (40 CFR 141.2)
– Open body of water, such as a river, stream, lake, or estuary.
Hydrological cycle – FINITE amount of water in Earth
What are the source of contaminant to Water?
– Ground water infiltration-from contaminated ground water
– Runoff-eg upstream waste contaminants
– Injection of contaminants
– Surface water infiltration
– Naturally occurring substances
What Health Effects Can Contaminated Source Water Cause?
Acute health effects
Chronic health effects
– chemicals above MCL (maximum contaminant level)
Contaminants that cause Acute Health Effect
– Bacteria, eg E.Coli (recent case in Germany, caused by Brussels Sprout, many died)
– Protozoa (parasite)
– Nitrate-blue baby syndrome->10ppm, causing health issue for below 6 mths old baby – reduction of Oxygen (O2) in blood.
The contaminants that cause the Chronic Health Effect
– Volatile Organic Chemicals (VOC), eg Benzene, Toluene
– Inorganic Chemicals (IOCs), eg Lead
– Synthetics Organic Chemicals (SOCs), eg Pesticides
Source of contaminants
– Industrial activities
– Animal feeding operations
– Urban uses
Save the Environment – Save the Earth – Save Gaia.
Link: Awareness – 起云剂 vs. 塑化剂
- Ground Water Awareness Week Highlights the Need to Protect Santa Clara County’s Largest Reservoir – the Aquifer (prweb.com)
- Wastage of Drinking Water (newgalaxy93.wordpress.com)
- EPA Plans to Issue Rules for Fracking Wastewater (scientificamerican.com)